Re: Another Rust MirrorManager experiment

On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 09:16:05AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 02:17:30PM +0200, Adrian Reber wrote:

> > > This would help us with the case of:
> > > - updates push/rawhide finishes, master mirror is updated.
> > > - openqa/other internal thing tries to get images or updates in that
> > >   change and gets a metalink with the old checksum so it can't get the
> > >   new stuff.
> > > - mm-backend01 generates and pushes out a new protobuf.

> > > We could, or as smooge suggests make a mm-backend02?
> > >
> > > But I guess now mm-backend02 just generates new proobuf files and copies
> > > them to mirrorlists? If thats all it's doing, perhaps we could indeed
> > > replace it with an openshift project.
> >
> > We need a system to run the tool and copy the data to all proxies.
> >
> > I would like to see a new MirrorManager database user who can only do
> > selects as that is all we need.
> >
> > Currently we copy the files via SSH to the proxies, if we continue doing
> > it that way, then we would also need the existing SSH key to copy the
> > data to the proxies.
> >
> > Easiest would probably be a small Fedora 32 based VM with 2GB of memory.
>
> I'm not sure f32 will work with 2gb memory anymore. I dont think it
> installs at any rate.
>
> I do like the idea of just making it an openshift pod. Perhaps this
> could even fit with pingous 'toddlers' setup. ie:

I tried to create a toddler, but that setup is too complicated for me.
Especially if something is not working it will be almost impossible for
me to debug it if it is running somewhere I cannot reach via SSH.

I just tried to build the generate-mirrorlist-cache on RHEL 7 (using
Rust from EPEL) and it works fine. Instead of 20 minutes it needs 30
seconds to generate the mirrorlist cache file on mm-backend01.

Although a RPM is available in Fedora I am not sure the RPM can be made
available in EPEL 7.

RPM Fusion is using the Rust based generate-mirrorlist-cache for some
months already and I do not see any problems with it.

I would like to use this also for Fedora and a dedicated Fedora based VM
or building from source on RHEL 7 is both possible. Building from source
does not sound like something used in Fedora Infrastructure so setting
up a Fedora based VM would be necessary. Would that be possible?

		Adrian