Re: The state of the planet (the app)

On 7/20/20 11:35 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
Good Morning Everyone,

Running a personal planet and having upgraded the box running it to a recent OS
(Fedora in this case), I have found out that the underlying application does not
support python3.

To be precise, the main script says:
   Requires Python 2.1, recommends 2.3.

Needless to say, this doesn't work anymore with python3.

So I went looking a bit around to see what is available.
There is Venus which we run, which has this problem ^ and hasn't been touched in
9 years:
https://github.com/rubys/venus

There are a few java-based, php-based, or ruby-based, with different level of
activity (though to be fair, RSS and planets have been there for a while now, so
a working application likely does not need much maintenance anymore).
However, nothing jumped at me as a clear successor for our setup.

How is Planet used? Are there any similar programs in Javascript or Go? What is available for Ruby and PHP? Are there particular features that would be useful to add to make them similar enough to planets? Could the Ruby application(s) be translated to using Crystal?

Do people have some experience with planet? Would you recommend us something?

At this stage, it is very unclear to me if the best approach is to switch
application (new stack, new UI to do, new configuration file to do/adjust...) or
port venus to python3 (potentially a 1 time effort but what about the long term
maintenance?).

Looking forward to hear your thoughts,

Pierre