Re: What is our technical debt?

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:32:14AM +0100, David Kirwan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If we are moving towards openshift/kubernetes backed services, we should
> probably be sticking with containers rather than Vagrant. We can use CRC
> [1] (Code Ready Containers) or minikube [2] for most local dev work.
>
> I'd be very much in favour of having an Infra managed Prometheus instance
> (+ grafana and alertmanager on Openshift), its something I hoped to work on
> within CPE sustaining infact.

You know, I'm not in love with that stack. It could well be that I just
haven't used it enough or know enough about it, but it seems just
needlessly complex. ;(

I'd prefer we start out at a lower level... what are our requirements?
Then, see how we can setup something to meet those.

Off the top of my head (I'm sure I can think of more):

* Ability to collect/gather rsyslog output from all our machines.
* Ability to generate reports of 'variances' from all that (ie, what odd
messages should a human look at?)
* Handle all the logs from openshift, possibly multiple clusters?
* Ability to easily drill down and look at some specifc historical logs
(ie, show me the logs for the bodhi-web pods from last week when there
was a issue).

Perhaps prometheus/graphana/alertmanager is the solution, but there's
also tons of other open source projects out there too that we might look
into.

kevin