Re: The future of loopabull

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 12:31 PM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 08:30 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 8:19 AM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Good Morning Everyone,
> > >
> > > I know this question has already been raised a few times, but I think we should
> > > raise it once more: what do we see as future for loopabull?
> > >
> > > It is currently triggered on 4 topics (3 from prod and 1 from stg) to do basically
> > > three actions:
> > > - Flag commit successfully built in koji, in other words it adds these flags
> > >   to dist-git:
> > >   https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mingw-filesystem/c/717f2a929bd25b62a0427e8e5c3792a0939dbfce
> > > - Flag when the Fedora CI start testing a PR
> > > - Flag when the Fedora CI finished testing a PR (and thus reports Pass/Fail)
> > >

> > Wait, wait, wait, what?! These aren't things natively supported by the
> > software we use (Koji and Zuul)? It seems like the place to start here
> > would be to move this functionality to the right places. A koji plugin
> > and an extension for the Zuul pagure driver to do those things would
> > make a ton more sense here...
>
> Why, though?
>
> I quite like the design of small consumer components to do specific
> jobs in response to messages. Lots of the bits I maintain work that
> way. Why is it necessarily better for Koji to grow the ability to
> change stuff in dist-git than to have a little go-between to do the
> job?

If it's discoverable, I don't care. But I had no idea that Koji and
Zuul weren't responsible for those things.

As for loopabull, I don't particularly see a problem with keeping it.
There's nothing wrong with hobby-maintained software. After all, we're
a hobby-maintained distribution. :)