Re: Mirror the ansible repo from pagure in the batcave

On Friday, April 24, 2020 5:47:22 PM CEST Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 02:21:14PM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
> > I was going for: https://pagure.io/Fedora-Infra/ansible/ which is marked as
> > being the future location of our ansible repo and already has a copy of it.
>
> Yeah, I am not even sure who made that. It was not me. ;)
>
> > I had not realized we have content in https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/ 's
> > git.
>
> Yes, mostly stuff that doesn't matter too much anymore, but it used to
> have 'public' things we needed to share out from puppet repo.
>
> > If we really want to have the ansible repo in that repo, the easiest may be to
> > rebase these commits on the top of ansible and force push to that repo (so
> > current ansible clone would pull fine once they've updated their urls=).
>
> well, I guess it depends on what way you want to preserve things:
>
> 1. Rebase the fedora-infrastructure.git on top of ansible.git and force
> push that. That would mean everyone with a existing
> fedora-infrastructure repo would have to scrap it and repull.
> But everyone with fedora-infra/ansible.git could just pull.
>
> 2. Push ansible.git on top of fedora-infrastructure. Then the opposite.
> People who have an existing fedora-infrastructure repo could just pull,
> people with fedora-infra/ansible would need to recheckout.
>
> 3. Just scrap the fedora-infrastructure repo entirely and replace it
> with ansible.git. This would mean both groups would have to reclone.
>
> I don't think there's really enough people with checkouts that couldn't
> just reclone, so I think we could do anything here and I don't much
> care. I think we should probibly move the old fedora-infrastructre files
> under some directory to keep them cluttering the ansible repo tho.
>
> Most if not all the fedora-infrastructure.git is old stuff we could do
> without too.

Use the force Luke, .... no!  Never force push :-) did this really happen?

It means that all the links from outside world pointing to specific
ansible.git hashes are just pointing to nowhere now...

If anything, the repositories should be merged together with
--allow-unrelated histories or something (so all the objects stay
available).  I never seen that in practice, but I never seen force push in
such important git repo so far, either. :-(

Any chance we could go back, do a proper merge (with unrelated histories),
rebase the latest commits we did since the forcepush on top of that,
and force-push once more?  I mean ... it is ***definitely*** worth it ... I mean
it still is, so I'd do it ASAP.

Pavel