Re: Ideas for more releng automation

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 02:28:44PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 03:14:56PM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 09:22:27AM -0300, Leonardo Rossetti wrote:
> > >    On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 8:07 AM Clement Verna
> > >    <[1]cverna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > >      Hi all,
> > >      I wanted to start a discussion and possibly some work around automating
> > >      the manual tasks involved in the release engineering work.
> > >      In particular I have in mind the following tasks :
> > >       - processing the unretire package tickets.
> > >       - processing the requests for a new package or a new branch.
> > >       - container base image release.
> > >      Instead of looking at each of these individually I was thinking that it
> > >      might be interesting to look at having an automation framework or
> > >      something like a bot that could be flexible enough to add more tasks or
> > >      process in the future.
> > >      To do that we have different possibilities, one could be to build a bot
> > >      that has a similar architecture than the compose-tracker
> > >      ([2]https://pagure.io/releng/compose-tracker) ie a fedora-messaging
> > >      consumer processing messages.
> > >      Another option is to use loopabull
> > >      ([3]https://github.com/maxamillion/loopabull) to trigger ansible
> > >      playbook on fedora-messaging messages.
> > >      Both solutions are quite similar, but one (loopabull) provides already
> > >      the boilerplate to trigger a script or a function based on messages
> > >      received (a bit like AWS lambda or other serverless framework). We also
> > >      have already a few process automated that way
> > >      ([4]https://pagure.io/Fedora-Infra/loopabull-tasks).
> > >      So I believe that using loopabull might be the best way forward, but I
> > >      would be interested to hear about other ideas :-)
> > >
> > >    I would lean to use loopabull because it already works in a "reactive way"
> > >    with mq messages and we don't need to write a full application since we
> > >    will be using ansible (which still can be "extended" developing modules
> > >    for complex tasks) - the above script could become a couple of ansible
> > >    modules to be used in a playbook with loopabull.
> >
> > I like loopabull, having been pretty much the only one playing with it since
> > Adam, I think it's a nice and fine tool and we should try leveraging it.
> > There is one angle where it isn't straight forward to use, it's secrets.
> > Currently the API tokens the scripts are using are passed as CLI argument when
> > calling the script.
> > If we end up needing something like kerberos keytab for example, we may have to
> > think how to do this and evaluate if loopabull is still a good fit.
>
> So another issue around loopabull is that I think Maxamillion said the
> other day that he's not really been maintining it upstream, so we might
> have to help out there if we want to keep using it.
>
> >> Would it be possible to use ansible vault files for that (using some kind
> >> of internal ansible API)?
>
> Possibly, but it would mean it would need secrets to unlock the vault
> and we don't use valut for anything else currently. ;(

That almost applies to loopabull as well ;-)
(Well we do use it, but not much)

> I wonder how hard it would be to move loopabull into openshift... that
> might also help the secrets thing by allowing it to keep things in
> openshift secrets...

I wonder if there is a benefit from using loopabull at that point, having a
simple fedora-messaging consumer running in openshift would work just as well.

> Is loopabull moved to fedora-messaging? Or still fedmsg?

I have ported it to fedora-messaging, it only needed a couple of tweaks from the
existing amqp plugin.
I may still need a release. I know we talked about it with Adam on IRC not long
ago, but looking at github it looks like there was no recent release made.

Pierre