Re: The packages app has a short runway

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 2:43 PM Randy Barlow
<bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-10-24 at 20:12 +0200, Clement Verna wrote:
> > The packages app (https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/) was
> > originally running on RHEL6, I tried to move it to RHEL 7 but they
> > were some dependencies missing there so we decided to move it to
> > Fedora. I don't remember which dependencies were missing tho. One of
> > the pain point is that the frontend is rendered using moksha/tosca
> > widgets (http://toscawidgets.org/) and this is pretty much a dead
> > upstream project. Removing these dependencies is not going to be
> > trivial.
>
> OK. Given our extreme time constraints, I think it is likely that we
> will have to retire the Packages app.
>
> However, there is one feature in it that I personally believe does map
> to the CPE team's mission statement: the table of which versions of a
> package are in which versions of Fedora/EPEL.
>
> I think we should do *something* to continue to provide that particular
> feature to packagers. I have a proposal:
>
> What if we make a fedpkg subcommand that prints that table? I think it
> could get all the needed data by querying Koji.
>
> I suggest this instead of a webapp or service, because webapps and
> services increase the burden on the CPE team, and also because creating
> an entire application just to print a table is a lot of boilerplate.
>
> Adding it to fedpkg feels clean to me, because it seems like a sensible
> place for such a feature to exist, and because it *should* be simple
> and easy. Simple is good!
>
> I may be able to find the time to make this happen before April too.
>
> Thoughts?

It's not a bad feature to have in fedpkg, but it fundamentally does
not help *other people* discover what we have in the distribution. If
anything, the biggest problem with CLI tools over web apps is that
there's no intuitive way to discover anything. In my view, it does not
replace the purpose of the packages web app.