Re: Request for comments: mediawiki-FedoraBadges direct db query

On 3/20/19 9:42 AM, Clement Verna wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 at 14:27, Rick Elrod <codeblock@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

Tahrir is slow, and the endpoint that mediawiki-FedoraBadges uses to get
its badge count and badge assertion data from takes about 35 seconds per
request.

Do we have an idea what makes Tahrir so slow ?

Way back when Tahrir was more actively developed, I tried to look into this some. From what I remember, it's just generating super inefficient queries, and lots of them. I recall the ORM it was using loves to generate queries that exhibit the N+1 query problem. When the N queries are inefficient ones (that might also generate more queries each), the result is slowness.

But that might have changed, and I haven't touched the Tahrir codebase in years. As smooge said, there are a number of Tahrir-upstream bugs that mention it being slow all around, so I don't think this is specific to the endpoint I'm using. I think this is just where we end up seeing it fairly often because of wiki userpages.

Rick