Re: Migrating fedmsg to AMQP: a proposal

Follow-up to this, Patrick had a few questions on IRC, which I've copied
here and answered in case others are interested:

> I was wondering whether you intend to continue cryptographically
> (x509) signing messages, or if you were planning to enforce sender per
> subject in another way?

Ultimately, no. RabbitMQ provides access controls[0] which I think will
meet our needs.

However, the bridge from AMQP back to ZeroMQ will support signing the
messages so consumers outside of Fedora Infrastructure are not broken.
My expectation is we'll run this bridge long term as the way for
external consumers to get events, even if we don't use ZeroMQ
internally. ZeroMQ is a solid library and it feels like a good fit
for the public access use-case. The bridge is ~10-20 lines of code
so it's not a huge maintenance burden, either.

I would like to eventually drop the message signing completely and
replace it with the a ZeroMQ socket with zmq-curve[1] for
authentication. That lets us stop using fedmsg completely (which is
appealing because it depends on pyOpenSSL which is not long for this
world).

> is the plan to move the projects to the fedora-infra org in the long
> run, or was your plan to keep them under your personal account?

Definitely planning on moving it over if people like it.

[0] https://www.rabbitmq.com/access-control.html
[1] http://api.zeromq.org/4-2:zmq-curve

--
Jeremy Cline