Re: Planned MirrorManager changes

On 04/13/2018 08:14 AM, Adrian Reber wrote:

> I would like to change the setup of our mirror crawler and just wanted
> to mention my planned changes here before working on them.
>
> Currently we have two VMs which are crawling our mirrors. Each of the
> machine is responsible for one half of the active mirrors. The crawl
> starts every 12 hours on the first crawler and 6 hours later on the
> second crawler. So every 6 hours one crawler is accessing the database.
>
> Currently most of the crawling time is not spent crawling but updating
> the database about which host has which directory up to date. With a
> timeout of 4 hours per host we are hitting that timeout on some hosts
> regularly and most of the time the database access is the problem.
>
> What I would like to change is to crawl each category (Fedora Linux,
> Fedora Other, Fedora EPEL, Fedora Secondary Arches, Fedora Archive)
> separately and at different times and intervals.
>
> We would not hit the timeout as often as now as only the information for
> a single category has to be updated. We could scan 'Fedora Archive' only
> once per day or every second day. We can scan 'Fedora EPEL' much more
> often as it is usually really fast and get better data about the
> available mirrors.
>
> My goal would be to distribute the scanning in such a way to decrease
> the load on the database and to decrease the cases of mirror
> auto-deactivation due to slow database accesses.
>
> Let me know if you think that these planned changes are the wrong
> direction of if you have other ideas how to improve the mirror crawling.

Sounds like all great ideas to me. ;)

I wonder if we could also find some way to note which mirrors have
iso/image files, and could communicate this to the
download.fedoraproject.org redirect to only redirect people to mirrors
that have that specific file if they are pointing to an iso/qcow2, etc.

Anyhow, the crawler changes sound good to me and thanks again for
working on it.

kevin