Meeting Agenda Item: Introduction Peter Szabo

Hi Infra-team,

I'm a new contributor candidate.
My name is Peter Szabo, IRC nick "sapo". Originally I'm Hungarian, but currently I live in Brooklyn, New York, USA. My time zone is UTC - 05:00.
For 18 years I worked as an IT Engineer. I planned, installed and supported complex contact center solutions. A single system was built upon mixed Windows and Red Hat Linux (I have RHCSA) servers, 10-20 server entities per system, depending on the customer requirements (number of end users, required features, high availability needs, etc...) I also developed (no-too-complex) scripts to meet customer needs and add some functionality that the system lacked out of the box. (For example special reporting needs or more advanced backup solution that the system offered). These scripts were written in a system specific language, BASH, Python or PowerShell - whichever was the most useful in the given scenario or was specifically requested by the customer.
I'd like to join this team and community for three main reasons:
  1. I always preferred open source and community driven products and activities. I was an area manager in the early years of Waze the community based GPS navigation program and made a great amount of mapping of my neighborhood. I'm also a regular volunteer of New York Road Runners. I was thinking for a long time to join the Fedora project, I just didn't have the confidence to do it so far.
  2. I'd like to improve my Linux administration and troubleshooting skills as well as stepping to a higher level in scripting. I'm trying to break out from the Voice world and move towards some less product specific career that involves some kind of system operations and maybe some code writing part as well.
  3. Since I moved to the US I'm struggling with finding a job so I have a lot of time that I want to use well in both ways, improving my skills and doing something useful for others too.

What I'm looking to do is hard to tell at this point, since I don't know the project's infrastructure in detail. The getting started guide suggests to pick something from the outstanding issues. As a new contributor maybe I could pick something from the easyfix category like #5290 - Generate infrastructure map
What my experience lies in is deploying and keeping servers alive, improving them by writing automated jobs. I'm willing to learn any technology but I'd like to stay as close as possible to the basic Linux services since those are I'd like to learn more in details.

Who I am: I'm a guy who likes to keep the systems tidy and in good condition. Someone for whom up-time is more important than new features. Over 18 years of supporting in IT I learned first to think then to act. I'm a perfectionist in the wrong sense of the word: I'm rarely satisfied with my job even if others are.

Who I'm not: Though I worked with a large amount of Linux based systems I'm absolutely not a Linux Ninja. I'm also not a scripting expert (yet). I solved several problems by writing scripts but my work never needed outstanding scripting experience. Actually these are some of the reasons I'm here, to gain deeper knowledge in these things.

Right now I can offer as many as 12-16 hours per week of work. I hope you'll find me useful and valuable, and I can find a mentor who could introduce me to the infrastructure of the fedora project, and slowly I can get a role here.

Peter