Re: The Future of Ask Fedora (potentially: hosted by upstream)

On Wed, 2016-12-14 at 12:15 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Ask Fedora is one of our primary user-facing support resources. It's
> reasonably successful, with over 18,000 questions, with almost 80% of
> those having at least some answer. It has a small but active and
> passionate community.

ask type communities can be an incredible resource for a community. I
was very active with AskUbuntu before converting to Fedora.

> On the other hand, I've heard from the infrastructure team that it's
> taking an increasing amount of time just to keep the service running,
> and making improvements is out of the question. We're having trouble
> keeping up with things like keeping the software on the recent
> version, let alone advancing new ideas.

> Since this is such an important thing for users, I think we need an
> improvement. I asked the community what to do
> <https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/95681/ask-fedora-is-it-wor
> king-and-whats-the-future/>
> and the top-voted response is from the upstream author, who has
> offered
> to host the site for $250/month, including 6 hours of development
> time.
>
> Assuming we can make the money work out, what do you think about
> this?

It is a small community when compared with AskUbuntu that has 249,575
answers. I personally found it difficult to get started with AskFedora
and have not revisited the site. I think if we make a commitment to
paying for someone to host the site that we need to make an effort to
make it easier for more users to contribute to the site.

Charles