Future of Koschei staging

Hello,

So far we've been using staging Koschei for two different things:
pre-production deployment testing and to aid development by testing new
upstream features and bugfixes (by deploying snapshots).

After recent introduction of replication to PostgreSQL databases, we can
no longer run some of database migrations without sysadmin-main
assistance. Moreover, staning-sync playbook is broken as it worked by
dropping and re-creating koschei database. (Note that Koschei *must* be
synced after Koji sync, or it will be broken.)

I can see two alternative solutions to this problem:

Option 1: Switch to "dev-stg-prod" model that some other apps are using.
By that I mean creating a separate development environment in cloud,
with separate database (and possibly, even separate Koji). Staging would
be used only for pre-production deployment testing. Dev instance could
be created on-demand, only when actually needed, and terminated afterwards.

Option 2: Use separate db for Koschei staging (possibly on one of
existing Koschei hosts) without replication enabled.

What should be the preferred course of action?

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
IRC: mizdebsk