Re: Meeting Agenda Item: Introduction Subham

On 11/06/2016 03:17 AM, Subham Sharma wrote:
IRC Handle: s27
Programming languages familiar with : Python, Java
Hi, I am a newbie to programming and to open source and would love to
work on "real world" issues and help out as much as I can. I am open to
learning new things but would love to start out working in python.
Looking forward to an awesome time working with you guys.

Regards,
Subham

Hi Subham, and welcome to the Infrastructure team mailing list! Glad to have you join us.

Fortunately, you will find no shortage of Python applications in Fedora's infrastructure. However, there are some general guidelines that will help set you up for success in contributing to Fedora Infrastructure in a developer role. Check out this page for getting started:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/GettingStarted

That page also mentions in the Infrastructure Apprentice program, which you can check out more of here:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Apprentice

You can find a GitHub organization for the Fedora Infrastructure team and sort the repositories by programming language. You should be able to see many different Python projects in Fedora there:

    https://github.com/fedora-infra/

However, there are many more projects hosted on Pagure, Fedora's official git forge. You can browse through projects here, although I don't know if there is a way to sort them by language.

    https://pagure.io/browse/projects/

I'm sure this is a lot of info all at once, but hopefully you find this all useful! It's worth the time to check out these pages before jumping in. As far as choosing a project, my advice is to browse around until you find a project that is personally interesting to you, and then seek out some of the lead developers of it on IRC in #fedora-apps to see how you can help.

As always, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask them here on the mailing list or in IRC! If you're available to join the Infrastructure team meetings, that would also be excellent. See you around!

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory