Re: Reboot Bugspad

On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 19:45:57 +0530
Mayank Jha <mayank25080562@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello folks.
>
> I am writing after a long time indeed, more than 2 years or so. The
> last time I contributed was around the same time. Thanks for letting
> me still be a part of the Fedora Universe. So, I had been trying to
> restart on completing what I had started, but things were keeping me
> from doing it.
>
> I am wanting to continue on where I had left
> <https://github.com/mjnovice/bugspad>. However now when I look back
> at the project I have some questions which I am searching answers for.
>
> 1. Why was the choice of golang in conjunction with redis ?
> 2. Are we wanting to solve the entire issue tracking problem from
> scratch, or just replicating all the features which bugzilla already
> has ? 3. Does this project still hold value ? Will this improve our
> entire issue tracking eco-system ?
> 4. The last time I spoke with Kushal, he was suggesting to go with
> python as it will attract more contributors, but then aren't we
> undermining the benefits we get from golang ?
>
> I would want to do some benchmarking of sorts of whatever language we
> choose, or library we use before jumping into developing with it. And
> I would want to attract contributors by making the application
> awesome, rather than choosing a language/library which is more
> popular amongst the folks.
>
> @Kevin, @Kushal, @Pierre and @all. Wanting your thoughts on this.

So, as I recall, the high level goal so long ago for bugspad was
something like replacing bugzilla for packages? I am not sure thats
ever likely to happen at this point. There's still a pretty strong
desire to be able to copy Fedora issues over to RHEL issues easily and
everyone is pretty used to bugzilla, so it would take something pretty
compelling to make people want to move. Additionally, Bugzilla 5.0 is
going to be out soon with a ton of new features, etc.

IMHO, I would say it might be better to help work on improving pagure's
issues as we are already using that and improvements are wanted. :)

Just my 2cents.

kevin