Re: Proposal to mirror Docker images

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Randy Barlow
<bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-08-16 at 11:24 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>> It would also help to have the following information.  The mirrors
>> will
>> need to have this information in order to make informed
>> decisions.  (I
>> will also have to make changes to quick-fedora-mirror to
>> accommodate.)
>>
>> 1) How much content will the mirrors need to store?  How will this
>>    amount change over time?
>
> Hello Jason! I confess that I don't have good answers to your
> questions, and I'm not sure who would. Many of these questions depend
> on how popular Docker images become with Fedora packagers.
>
> How many bytes of content we will be creating does depend on how many
> applications get packaged as Docker images. I would guess the base
> image to be a few hundred megabytes, but we can probably use some fancy
> hardlinking to help reduce disk/network usage so that the base image is
> only stored once. The rest of the storage is going to be the diffs
> applied as layers on top of the base image that add whatever each
> individual image needs. The sizes of these layers will vary greatly by
> application, so this is also difficult to guess.
>
> It's difficult to make informed guesses about this since I don't know
> how many Docker images the fedora packagers will create (or at what
> rate they will create them over time).
>
>> 2) Do you have a plan for placing an upper bound on the total amount
>> of
>>    data?  (In Fedora things are moved to archive, though that has its
>>    own problems and of course doesn't really place an upper bound on
>>    anything.)
>
> I don't have such a plan at this time. If anyone has suggestions about
> this, that would be helpful. It's unclear whether Docker images would
> live inside or outside of the traditional Fedora cycle (i.e.,
> F24/F25/F26). It may have its own separate cycle, or we may just go
> with the current Fedora cycle.

I think we can choose a reasonable archival time, sorting out the
implementation of that with the tool the does the layer data
extraction might be a challenge but I imagine it's one we can
collectively sort out if necessary.

>> 3) How much change do you expect per day?  Churn is really important,
>>    and even now we can come close to the point where the master
>> mirrors
>>    simply can't feed new content to the tier 1 mirrors fast enough
>> for
>>    them to keep ahead of the changes we're making.
>
> This again depends on how popular the Docker image offering becomes
> with our packagers, so it is difficult for me to make an educated
> guess. Popularity is difficult to predict.

The current plan is that we will release Docker Layered Images on a
Two-Week cadence, potentially in line with the Atomic Host Two-Week
deliverable. This might change in the future but that is the current
plan.

>> 4) How will this be organized on the master mirrors?  It really
>> should
>>    be in a separate rsync module, and the archive (if that happens)
>>    should also be in a separate rsync module.
>
> In my proposal e-mail I mentioned that it was important for mirror
> manager to allow mirror admins to opt-in to hosting Docker content.
> Since we don't know the answer to so many of these questions, I suggest
> we opt mirrors out by default, and let admins opt themselves in as they
> please. Our proposal didn't have an exact path for storing Docker
> images, but it was planned to be separated from the RPM and ISO content
> at a fairly high level in the tree.

+1

-AdamM