Re: Builds from git repo with unpacked sources

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> MS> Recently, internally they introduced very nice feature that might be
> MS> also useful to Fedora packagers. It is the ability to build packages
> MS> from exploded sources. Packager no longer uploads tarball to
> MS> lookaside cache and maintains patches in dist-git, but points rhpkg
> MS> (internal equivalent of fedpkg) to git repo that contains exploded
> MS> sources with downstream patches applied on top. This allows for easy
> MS> cherry-picking of patches between branches and a ton of other nice
> MS> features that make maintainer's life easier.
>
> I know this is the infra list, but as a packaging committee member I
> figured I'd comment.
>
> From a packaging standpoint I'd be happy to see something like this
> allowed in Fedora, with some caveats (which I'm coming up with on the
> fly, so don't hate on me if they're dumb):
>
> 1) Probably only if the upstream development model works this way.  If
>    upstream expects people to work from tarballs, it's probably better
>    to work that way too.  Maybe not, though; I don't really have enough
>    info.

I was thinking more in terms of an additional option available to
Fedora packagers rather than replacement for current workflow. IOW,
use it if it makes sense for given package and actually makes package
maintenance easier.

> 2) The builds must obviously be repeatable using just the srpm.

Shouldn't be a problem.

> 3) The tooling must make it very simple to duplicate the exploded tree
>    in which you develop using just the spec, patches, and a checkout
>    from upstream.

I am not sure I understand this one correctly...Anyway, once you set
up source tree somewhere (we haven't discussed where yet) you can
easily git clone it to as many places as you want.

> Also, it would be nice to see how the workflow goes and how it differs
> from the way you work with stacked patch applications and
> "%autosetup -S git".  I'm sure even a simple doc would be enough to sell
> this.

I think that with current tooling the best option is to use %autosetup
-S git_am as it makes history more readable, i.e. commit messages have
useful information.

Michal