Re: Code browser for SRPMs

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 14:59:16 -0000
"Joseph Mullally" <jwmullally@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are there any ongoing plans for being able to browse/link/search
> Fedora SRPM contents online?

nope. Not that I am aware of.

> One obvious use case is automatically generating links for FAF stack
> traces to omnigrok(etc) SRPM:file:lines. Having permalink URLS would
> also be useful for ongoing bugfix/feature discussions.
>
> E.g. lines in this
> https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/1378013/
> could link to the cgit,opengrok view of the file:line of its original
> SRPM (for a selected release)
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=742571
>
> Also, in general having some reusable functionality to
> bidirectionally map between these... RPM binary/script
> line/debugsymbol <-> SRPM NVR file:line <-> pkgs.fedoraproject.org
> commit/srcfile-or-patch:line <-> upstream commit/file:line ... would
> be useful for many use cases considering the low complexity of the
> problem (E.g. examples above, tagging, upstream auto-mining of FAF,
> future https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StaticAnalysis LXR style
> browser etc.)
>
> Previous efforts/discussions in this area:
> This was promising but looks dead:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LubomirKundrak/OpenGrok Previous
> discussion:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-November/387149.html
> > I think you're out of luck.  It would be a huge
> > amount of resources for fedora to host the exploded contents of all
> > 10k+ packages (let along keeping multiple versions or revision
> > control history for those upstream projects)
>
> This is a critical point, but maybe a workaround is to dynamicaly
> extract the existing SRPMs on request along with some simple caching.
>
> (PS Just curious about this area, I don't think I'd be able to do
> much more than a hacky PoC:)

Right, there's potentially a ton of resources needed for something like
this.

we do have ability to view spec and patches in packages app:
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/limnoria/sources/
but that doesn't help with src.rpms.

There was someone we were talking with a while back that ran the debian
source indexer and wanted to know if we were interested in such a thing
in Fedora. We are/were, but again resources were not there.
https://codesearch.debian.net/about

kevin