Backups for piwik cloud instance

As some of you know, some of us (mostly smooge and I) have been working
on statistics gathering for Fedora web infra as of late.

We are working on setting up a piwik instance to be used on our
websites. However, this instance lives in the cloud and thus can't hit
the VPN.

A question I ran into and was told to email the list about and/or bring
up at the meeting, is: What should our backups story look like for such
cases? Mostly, we have a MySQL database on this node that will get
really big fairly quickly (right now /var/lib/mysql is about 1.1GB and
piwik only has one site added, and it's only been there for a few weeks).

Are other cloud instances backed up in any way, and if so how was it
done? If not, how do we go about coming up with a plan for doing this,
for this instance and other instances in the future that end up having
similar requirements?

(Smooge can weigh in if I'm forgetting any important details here).

-Ricky