Re: About JS framework

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone,
>
> Our infrastructure is mostly a python store, meaning almost all our apps are
> written in python and most using wsgi.
> However in python we are using a number of framework:
> * flask for most
> * pyramid for some of the biggest (bodhi, FAS3)
> * Django (askbot, Hyperkitty)
> * TurboGears2 (fedora-packages)
> * aiohttp (python3, async app: mdapi)
>
> While this makes sometime things difficult, these are fairly standard framework
> and most of our developers are able to help on all.

Although there are a number of pros for the above approach, I'd like
to highlight a few downsides too:
- UI and backend development are tightly coupled
- HTML responses from backend are not that reusable
- Not ready for multi platforms

> However, as I see us starting to look at JS for some of our apps (fedora-hubs,
> wartaa...), I wonder if we could start the discussion early about the different
> framework and eventually see if we can unify around one.
> This would also allow those of us not familiar with any JS framework to look at
> the recommended one instead of picking one up semi-randomly.
>
> So has anyone experience with one or more JS framework? Do you have one that
> would you recommend? Why?

After doing quite a lot of reading on ReactJS vs Angular2, and based
on instinct, I prefer React because:
- lean and thin, less react specific jargon, mostly javascript
- initially it might have a bit of more learning curve, but once you
get the hang of it, it becomes easier. Unlike Angular2, which is easy
to start, but the learning curve, gets steeper and steeper as you
progress
- React shows errors at compile time itself, rather than on runtime
like Angular2
- React is lightweight and has a simple API. You don't need to read
react's source code to understand what's happening

On the other hand:
- Angular2 is a richer framework, easy for new developers to get started with
- I love how nativescript allows you to write native apps for mobile
platforms using Angular2, allowing 80% code reuse

You can find some useful reads at [1], [2].

[1]: https://www.airpair.com/angularjs/posts/angular-vs-react-the-tie-breaker
[2]: https://medium.freecodecamp.com/angular-2-versus-react-there-will-be-blood-66595faafd51#.5z805rq9p

Thanks,
rtnpro