badges-backend(and stg)

I've been working on getting the award-lifecycle-badges cron job to run from badges-backend. I beleive I have the script fixed, but I have a couple of problems;
1. This error message from badges-backend01.stg

requests.exceptions.SSLError: hostname 'admin.fedoraproject.org' doesn't match either of '*.stg.fedoraproject.org', 'stg.fedoraproject.org'

2. The original reason (as far as I can tell) that the script fails is that the request to pull down all of the usernames from FAS times out. In a couple of limited (and babysat) tests on the production machine. My script works, but would take (in my estimation) 10-15 hours to run.
I don't know if the reason behind this is that there are alot of lifecycle badges to be awarded, or the resources available to badges-backend + tahrir + fas isn't sufficient for the number of users/backlog we have, or if my fix is crap.

I'd like to get some advice/suggestions on this and have placed an item on the meeting agenda today.

Basically, to get around the timeout issue, I created a list of search terms (a*, b*, etc) so that I only pull in one letter of the alphabet at a time. The main function pulls down each list of usernames, checks to see if each user needs one of five lifecycle badges and awards the badge if the user qualifies. Here is a bit of the main loop;

fas_credentials = fm_config['fas_credentials']
    searchterms = gen_fas_searchterms()
    for search_elem in searchterms:
        results = get_fas_userlist(fas_credentials, search_elem)