historic data puzzle — what happened on Oct 15, 2014?

Smooge (thanks!) is putting together updated yum (uh, and I guess dnf;
time to start calling this collectively something else) stats for me,
and I noticed a really weird thing in the data.

On October 14, 2014 (and consistent with the period before), Fedora 12
through 15 log these numbers: 5913, 5179, 12221, 3370. On the next
day, October 15, they log 293, 167, 155, 115 — and similar ever after.

Releases before F12 continue on the same trend they had previously, as
do F16 and on. (Well, F16 does drop from 5602 to 4305, but the
day-to-day numbers are very bouncy and the trend was in that direction
anyway.)

I had previously assumed that this was some big hosting provider
switching away from F14, but when I looked more closely at the data, I
see it happened for _all_ these releases.

What in the world happened? Did we break something? And if so, how did
we break it so the numbers drop by 97%, but not 100%?

It isn't _necessarily_ relevant to the current numbers, but it's a
really weird data artifact.

I looked back in the mailing list archives for any clues, but the only
thing I can see is that the F21 beta freeze started on the 14th —
which just makes things _weirder_, since it seems  _less_ likely that
anything changed. Anyone have any guesses?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>