Re: Thoughts and question about MM2's UMDL script

On 26 June 2015 at 10:11, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear all,

> So the UMDL script currently supports three ways of crawling the tree:
> * file
> * rsync
> * directory
>
> We, in Fedora, are only using the last one. I believe the `rsync` mode was added
> to support Ubuntu and the file mode is basically a simplified version of the
> directory mode, but that we do not use at at the moment.
>
> I would like to propose that we drop support for rsync. I feel that it may be
> simpler and easier to create an UMDL and a crawler for each distro that would
> like to use MirrorManager than maintaining a one-script-fits-all UMDL that is
> in fact tested for only one of the scenario.
> That being said, if we ever have interest from Ubuntu, CentOS or any other
> communities, we should definitively look into making the UMDL and crawler as
> re-usable as possible for them, but keeping the distro-specific bits separated.

I thought rsync was added for speed versus Ubuntu and that we actually
use it a lot on the crawlers... because that is the reason we needed
to move the memory usage up.. it uses a lot of memory but takes a lot
shorter period to 'crawl' or am I conflating two different things?

Also the CentOS guys have expressed interest in using mirrormanager in
the past (like 6-9 months ago?)  but I don't know their present
interest.

> Looking forward hearing your thoughts about these points and questions,
> Thanks,
>
> Pierre

Stephen J Smoogen.