Re: Prototyping Fedora widgets framework

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 7:48 PM, Ralph Bean <rbean@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 03:49:29PM +0530, Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
> I really like part (1).  We could pre-process all kinds of data.  Keep
> statistics and make them all available via API.
>
>> 2. Render data from saved data.
>
> I'm not sure how I feel about part (2).  It seems to me like it will
> introduce a higher overhead to future changes to the service and more
> of the same for people trying to use it.

By rendering data, I meant render JSON data, and html snippets
(pagelets) too. However rendering html snippets would be less
flexible. So, I think, we should just go ahead with rendering JSON
data.

> What if:
>
> - Someone wants to style their widget differently?
> - Combine the data from two widgets into some other widget?
> - Use only part of the data typically associated with one widget.
>
> To do any of those, would they need to submit a patch to our
> server-side code, and then have it be reviewed, released and deployed
> before they can make use of it?

I agree, +1

> How do you feel instead about splitting it up into two pieces:
> server-side data denormalization and client side visualization (via a
> python lib or maybe better, a js lib?).  That way people can query for
> the grouped/collated data and then present it however they like.  Just
> a thought.
That's where the REST API comes into picture :)

Regards,
rtnpro

--
Ratnadeep Debnath,