Re: Fedora hosted planning

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 05:56:58 PM Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 10:17:41PM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 13:30:26 -0700
> >
> > Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > 5 sounds like the most likely. There are a lot of work flows which
> > > groups are using with the current trac. If they didn't.. they would
> > > have probably moved over to github by now. Having the old boxes on
> > > ansible is probably faster by at least 18 months over getting people
> > > moved to the newer system.
> >
> > I refuse to use github because I personally think its very bad for us as
> > a open and transparent community and project that prides itself on
> > making sure everyone can mimic what we do exactly to use something
> > closed and proprietary. For my own projects I think I would mostly be
> > okay with progit though something would be needed for ticketing for
> > releng, wiki space would be good for some projects but is not really
> > needed on all projects. some like mash only have a git repo on
> > fedorahosted, there is no associated trac. I think 4 or 5 would both be
> > viable.
>
> [Sorry for catching up late to this thread.]
>
> I'm not comfortable yet with the idea of taking on the service
> build-out that (3) represents above.  That's a lot of commitment for
> something I don't think we can call critical path.  Github may be a
> closed/paid service solution but it doesn't affect the public
> availability, transparency or forkability of any of our code.  And a
> long-term investment in chasing that solution as a Fedora-specific
> service to replace hosted is not necessarily the best use of our
> resources.
We can agree to disagree here. I think without a good viable open source
option we will be locked into a closed proprietary platform. if github jacks
up the price or closes down, yes we still have our clones and can put the data
elsewhere. but there will be nowhere else viable to put the data, additionally
we are saying its okay to compromise our principles when it suits us and puts
us on a slippery road.  I do not think we should have or want a Fedora
specific service. we could potentially use some new service not only for for
fedorahosted but for pkgs git. having a good way for people to develop test
and send patches to others seems like a huge win to me. I am sure we could
probably work cross distro to have a universal solution with a big developer
base.

Dennis

Dennis