Re: Feb status update for Fedora Infrastructure Apprentices

On 02/11/2015 05:06 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I'd like to ask for everyone to send me a quick reply with the
> following data or anything related you can think of that might help us
> make the apprentice program more useful.
>
> 0. Whats your fedora account system login?

mizdebsk

> 1. Have you logged in and used your fi-apprentice membership to look at
> our machines/setup in the last month? Do you plan to?

Yes and yes.

> 2. Has it helped you decide any area you wish to focus on or contribute
> to more?

Not really. I already know which areas are interesting for me and where
I should be able to contribute.

> 3. Have you looked at or been able to work on any of the fi-apprentice
> 'easyfix' tickets?
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/report/14

I looked at them in the past, but recently I've been busy with other
stuff and didn't have enough time for that.

> 4. Do you still wish to be a member of the group? If not (for whatever
> reason) could you provide any hints to help others down the road?

Yes, I do.

> 5. Is there any help or communication or ideas you have that would help
> you do any of the above?

No, I can't think of anything right now.

> 6. What do you find to be the hardest part of getting involved?
> Finding things to work on? Getting attention from others to help you?
> Finding tickets in your interest area?

Primarily lack of time :) But besides that:

I can't easily develop Ansible playbook to be used in ansible.git.
I don't have root access to lockbox01, so I can't run playbooks from
there and replicating the whole environment on my local machine is not
straightforward.  So far I didn't manage to run playbooks. There are
many hardcoded paths and some directories used are readable only by
sysadmin members.

As I understand, many fixes are done by modifying or running playbooks,
so lack of ability to develop them easily makes process of contributing
much harder. (At least for people who like to "learn by doing" like me.)

> 7. Have you been able to make any weekly irc meetings? Do you find them
> helpful or interesting?

I've been reading all meetings logs for long time (about 2 years), there
are many interesting things there. But I especially like the new part,
which gives overview of certain area, such as Koji.

> 8. Whats your favorite work of art?

I'm not a big fan of art. But if you count software projects as art then
my project "lbzip2" would qualify :)

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Software Engineer, Red Hat