Re: Gitolite3 on pkgs01.stg

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 12:45:38PM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> This morning Mathieu (bochecha) and I spent some time trying to get gitolite3
> work on our pkgs01.stg.
>
> This is an overview of the situation.
>
> By design gitolite is meant to be installed with a dedicated user. Everyone uses
> that user. gitolite then maps the public ssh key to its user database and its
> configuration file to handle who is allowed to do what on which git repo.
>
> Our setup is quite different from this. We have a single configuration file at
> /etc/gitolite/conf/gitolite.conf that contains all the information about who
> is allowed to do what on which git repos. In addition we have a single
> /etc/gitolite/gitolite.rc configuration file that specifies to gitolite where
> are the git repositories located.
>
> Each user has then an account on the machine but by default no shell access.
> The access is restricted via ssh with in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys the instructions:
> `command="/usr/bin/gl-auth-command"` (people with shell access have a different
> command).
>
> That commands combines the info from /etc/gitolite/gitolite.rc and
> /etc/gitolite/conf/gitolite.conf and allow or deny the access/action.
>
> Now gitolite3 has changed quite a bit compared to our setup.
> Basically, gitolite3 expects the gitolite.rc file to be at ~/.gitolite.rc and
> the repositories to be at ~/repositories. Having symlink to these locations
> are fine, but they should be there.
>
> What we can do also is play on the $HOME variable.
>
> In pkgs01.stg we kept the configurations files (gitolite.conf and gitolite.rc)
> in /etc/gitolite as before, but we created a couple of symlink in /srv/git/
>   .gitolite -> /etc/gitolite/
>   repositories -> /srv/git/rpms/
> The idea is to be able to set HOME=/srv/git and run the gitolite command.

So Mathieu and I started to work on this again over the last couple of days.

We fix the logging issue by simply asking gitolite to rely on syslog. This means
all logs from gitolite are now ending up in /var/log/messages (this has some
pros and some cons)

We updated the configuration file gitolite.rc to the (completely) new one of
gitolite3.

At that point we were able to clone and pull but pushing didn't work. Finally,
Mathieu realized that our setup in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys was incorrect.
With Gitolite2 we could specify the type of the user (user vs admin) while on
gitolite3 it requires the username of the user.
So we adjusted fasClient and the fas.conf configuration file to allow us to set
the username in the authorized_keys file

Pull-request at: https://github.com/fedora-infra/fas/pull/97

So now, pkgs01.stg should work.
We should be able to clone, push, pull changes.
Email notifications are working as well, so beware which package you test
against :)

Please take a stab at it and let us know if you see any problem with it.
Once fasClient is updated, we should rebuild the box and do some final testing
before we can consider moving this to prod.

Thanks,
Pierre