Re: Atomic status

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 09:40:59AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Let's look at blocking issues for Atomic in Fedora:
> - Having rpm-ostree be run as part of nightly compose

As I understand it, Dennis is working on this. Dennis, anyone -- let me know
where particular help is needed. David Gay (oddshocks) is also available to
help (pretty much full time for a little while once fedimg is in production
in the next few days, as I understand it).

> - Content mirroring
>   * Server with SSL, some level of redundancy
>   * Open question around how often/when composes are done, and how much
>   history is retained

>From when we last talked, I thought you were going to bring up this last one
as a policy question on the Fedora Cloud list? But also from our discussion,
it doesn't look like keeping even full history would be hugely significant
-- 1.6GB over the lifetime, _worst case_. I also don't think that we need to
have this answered urgently... it's something we need to know by October,
right?

> - GPG signing

Can you elaborate here? If I remember right we had discussed this as a
release blocker but not necessarily an immediate blocker (for example, not
all RPMs in F21 branch are currently signed.)

> - Method of having Koji/ImageFactory pull mirrored OSTree repository
> content to compose ISOs

I think this is just making the above mirror available to ImageFactory
during install.

> - MirrorManager integration (no code written on ostree side yet)
> To the best of my knowledge, code exists for all of the above except the
> last, and the last bit is hard to write without having a deployment of
> MirrorManager using it, which depends

Again, let me know if it would help to have someone focused on this and I'll
see if I can find the right help.

> I see two solution paths:
> - Double down and fix the above, continue trying to sync Atomic with
> Fedora

Based on our conversations last week and earlier this week, I don't think
it's really so dire that it comes to "double down", but this is the
direction I'd like to continue in. It's important to Fedora Cloud, and it's
important to F21 messaging overall.

> Would more regular meetings help?

If it would, let's do it. :)

--