Re: Sync github projects on fedorahosted

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 01:17:23PM -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
>    On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>    wrote:
>
>      > I think doing this is a great idea. ;)
>      >
>      > What about using grokmirror?
>      >
>      > https://github.com/mricon/grokmirror
>      >
>      > (packaged as python-grokmirror)
>
>      This looks really quite nice, I should have checked for it before
>      opening the
>      ticket.
>
>    Just to caution -- for grokmirror to work, the remote server needs to
>    provide the manifest file, which github does not. There is a
>    "grok-dumb-pull" utility in grokmirror that works for mirroring
>    repositories that don't provide a manifest, so that will work, but it's
>    not as efficient
>    (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/grok-dumb-pull.1.html).

grok-dumb-pull seems to be the way to go in the current environment. However I
have a couple of questions:
- has there been any thoughts on trying to get grokmirror included in github as
  one of the hooks they provide by default? This would reduce their bandwith
  usage for all the project that, like us, would like to mirror their github
  repo elsewhere.
- One thing that isn't clear to me is how the manifest.js is made available. It
  is just provided at a specified URL or is it in fact included in the git repo?

There is one more thing I'd like to see in grokmirror, but I'll make a
pull-request for it ;-)

Thanks for the feedbacks,
Pierre