Re: Ask Fedora: Do we need to add a "solved" tag to answered questions to increase visibility in search engines

On 01/23/2014 10:53 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Hi
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM, Ankur Sinha  wrote:
- Add "Please do not add the [Solved] keyword to your question
summaries. If you received an answer that solved the issue, please
mark the answer as correct and reward the helper with karma." to
the user guidelines.

I think this is the right approach

Now, the addition of the term "solved" somewhere in the question
does help in a way: it helps improve search results, say
google/bing/whatever (This is based on my basic understanding of
SEO etc, please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Not sure that is true.  If one searches within Ask Fedora, ideally
the search order should bring up questions with correct answer marked
first, followed by answers order by higher karma score.  That way
good answers come up first within Ask Fedora.  I don't think that
changes how search engines orders the results however

as it is now, as far as "guidelines" go, i wonder, why bother with
adding another guideline that is not going to be followed.

as for using "[solved]", why even change from it. it shows exactly
what word means.

problem is not with use of "[solved]", problem is getting posters
to use it.

some will/may/might/have continued a thread with "[solved]" still
in "Subject:" when they are writing about something worked until
they rebooted or reopen a file.

it is another version of old adage of,

   "rules where made to be broken"

to,

   "guidelines are seldom add-heard to"

in other words;

   "it is human nature for people to tend to bend rules.
    it is linux nature for users to ignore them."

just my opinion on observations.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.