Re: QA Client Network Isolation and FAS Groups

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:26:30 -0700
Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:11:51 -0700
> Tim Flink <tflink@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The one thing that isn't part of that diagram is some sort of
> > lockbox-ish host for managing and monitoring the clients. I'm still
> > not sure how we want to configure all that (we had talked about
> > putting everything but the clients in the infra playbook on
> > lockbox01 and managing the clients with a different playbook on a
> > different host but none of that has been done), though but I
> > suspect that is one of the _simpler_ parts of the setup.
>
> Could be yeah. I am planning on making a lockbox01.qa after our
> conversation the other day...

Yeah, from that conversation, it seems like the lockbox01.qa is the
best choice for now.

> ...snip....
> > > Could we just do it with a private libvirt network on the qa
> > > virthosts? ie, pick 172.31.17.0 and put them all in that and
> > > setup a bastion host as their gateway that does NAT for them out
> > > to the stuff they need. Or would NAT not work for this? They
> > > would still physically be on the qa network tho, so I guess we
> > > could try and request a real seperate one from RHIT.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand this completely. Would this allow the
> > various "special" hosts (beaker server and bastion host in
> > particular) to connect to the clients without adding the step of
> > "connect to virthostX" before being able to ssh into the clients?
>
> Sure, they would just use the bridge on the virthosts to send their
> private network stuff around, but it would be traveling on the same
> physical network as the 10.5.124.x qa network.

As noted below, it sounds like I have some reading to do, but that
sounds as if it would work.

> > NAT should work for everything other than communication with the
> > beaker server and bastion hosts.
>
> Right.
>
> > Another option might be to use ebtables. I haven't investigated this
> > fully yet but it sounds like it would allow the use of qa network
> > IPs but restrict the traffic running through the bridged network on
> > the virthosts - effectively creating a restricted network without
> > needing any physical changes. Of course, that would only work with
> > VM clients but that's all we're planning for at the moment.
>
> Yeah, that was essentially what I was suggesting above actually. ;)

Ah, at least we have similar solutions in mind :) I guess I'll have to
do some more reading on libvirt networks. When I looked at the docs, it
sounded like those were designed only for VMs on the same virthost -
not communication between VMs on different virthosts.

> > > There was also talk about redoing a lot of our network setup a
> > > while back, but not sure where that went. The thought was to
> > > completely seperate Fedora from anything else (which would be
> > > great), but would require rework on a bunch of things. Once it's
> > > done however, we could not have to care as much about adding new
> > > private nets, etc.
> >
> > That sounds like it would end up in a good place for isolating the
> > clients but it also sounds like a lot of work. On the other hand,
> > this "lull" between actively working on releases might be a "less
> > bad" time to do major changes like that but I'll refrain from
> > commenting more on it since I'd likely not be the one doing all the
> > work.
>
> Yeah. Lots of other things in the mix and it's also something that
> would have to weigh on RHIT networking folks more, so we will see.

OK, we'll plan on finding something that works without any physical
networking changes.

Tim