Re: state of the askbot

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:33:19PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > I'm kind of wondering if maybe we should make a long-term goal of
> > scrapping it in favor of some Q&A-centered extensions to Hyperkitty. I
> > had talked to Aurelian about this briefly a few months ago and he seemed
> > open to the idea.
> Could we please not overload hyperkitty with more stuff before its actually
> replacing something? I have heard so many "I talked to Aurellian, and he is
> open..." that I have no idea what Aurellian has really promised to do, what
> is actually feasible, and what has been "That is nice.. (dear lord I hope
> they don't expect 1 programmer to do this?)"

Fair enough. I do hope to actually see something in production at some
point.

This is more of a long-term roadmap thing, and, honestly, I think Hyperkitty
with some minor extensions would serve our needs better than Askbot
currently does. (And as I understand it, Askbot is just one developer too.)
We don't have the discipline or the level of participation of Stack Exchange
to make the site really work as a specialized Question and Answer site, and
it's really functioning more like a web forum for troubleshooting. So, the
extensions would simply be flags to mark something as an answer, to view
replies sorted by votes, and to mark a question as answered. I'm not saying
that that's not a lot of effort, but it's not writing a whole new piece of
software.

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>