Re: rdiff-backup doc in infra docs

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:06:06 -0400
Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:23:19AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Review/feedback welcome. Are there any unclear parts? Anything not
> > mentioned that would be good to know about backups?
>
> What about retention? How long are the backups kept?

Currently forever. Sometime down the road we might start pruning them.
We are currently using about 2TB of a 25TB volume and it's growing
pretty slowly.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/collectd/bin/graph.cgi?hostname=backup03;plugin=df;type=df;type_instance=fedora_backups;begin=-31622400

I'll add a note.

> On my own systems, I run rdiff-backup with
> `--exclude-if-present .NOBACKUP`. This makes it skip any directories
> containing that file, and is useful for subdirs with a lot of churn.
> For example, /etc/selinux/targeted -- but perhaps most useful for
> people to put in home directories where they may be dropping large
> temporary files that are actually okay to not be backed up.

Good idea, we could add this if there's call for it.

> Also, you probably already know this, but rdiff-backup does not have
> any special handling for moved files -- they are treated as deleted
> and created anew. This can mean that simply renaming something a lot
> can use up a lot of space (unless of course the underlying filesystem
> is deduplicated, of course).

Yep.

The netapp volume we are using is in fact deduplicated, also we aren't
backing up /var/log/ or the like on most machines. (we are backing up
logs from log02 which gets a copy of them, but it's setup to use
YYYY/MM/DD/ directories.

kevin