Re: GitLab packaging progress and discussion about deployment on fedorahosted

On 07/03/2013 10:42 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> You are correct.  These are bundled libraries, not forks.  And not just
> because of the same name... Forking is a bad idea unless upstreams are
> unable to work together.  So if there's something like a bugfix that's
> needed, we (The Fedora Packaging Committee) would want to know why the
> change hasn't gone into the other package (ie: grit) as the bugfix would
> presumably hekp out other consumers of grit as well.
In the case of grit, upstream has almost 'abandoned' the project.
You can see that the commit history [0]is very sparse and of the 111 issues
on the issue tracker [1] more than the half of them are Pull Requests
that either
fix some bugs or enhance the app.

As far as I know, GitLab will switch to rugged [2], but that is not
going to happen
for another year as it still lacks some needed functionality. Therefore
the grit fork.

[0] https://github.com/mojombo/grit/commits/master
[1] https://github.com/mojombo/grit/issues
[2] https://github.com/libgit2/rugged