Re: Ask Fedora: tag list vs tag cloud

On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 14:30 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Somewhat subjective preference but I think the reason the cloud
> doesn't work as well is because tags are poorly managed in askbot.  It
> really needs to gain the ability to set a karma value for creating new
> tags,  tag aliases, tag definitions and a UI that guides users towards
> existing tags.

+1. These admin options would be really good to have.

At the moment, I think tag lists look more organized than tag clouds.
Maybe I'll change prod to use lists as well once we're out of the
freeze.

> It also has a bug that empty tags still show up in the tag list.   I
> really wish we had a Django coder working on askbot on behalf of
> Fedora.

Mathieu reported a bug on empty tags yesterday[1]. I've reported another
one about a server error when changing settings[2] but upstream wasn't
able to reproduce it.

I do look into the code at times. For instance, since upstream wasn't
able to reproduce the bug, it's quite possible it's a packaging bug, (or
we've set it up weirdly) but I'll have to read code to confirm. I don't
have enough cycles to fix bugs and send upstream patches though :/

If someone else has any clues on the server error, do ping me ;)

PS: I still haven't gotten down to trying the askbot snapshot. Not sure
when I'll get cycles to do that yet.

[1] http://askbot.org/en/question/11084/invalid-tag/
[2]
http://askbot.org/en/question/11086/adding-instructions-on-how-to-ask-questions-leads-to-server-errors/