Re: fedora hosted, sharding and openid

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

I think we could also look at getting a wildcard cert and just stay
with https. But I agree thats a detail... either way is probibly fine.

<shrug> I'm fine with either way.

I think we might want to setup a hosted01.stg at some point for testing
things out. It would be good to be able to do that without bothering
production. If we split projects out we could also have some direct to
the staging instance too.

Any reason not to do that in a cloud instance - heck doesn't even need to be called 'staging' it is just staging projects.

We can even prototype fedorahosted.org/projectname redirects in that way.

So, would these hosted instances be something good for persistent
cloud? Or do you think they would be better as regular vhosts?
I think it might be nifty to at least have the ability to spin them in
cloud instances so we could rapidly move/add things to that (think of a
slashdot day for a project, we could move them to a big cloud instance
and then move them back to the regular vhost after it was calmed down).

EXTREMELY popular - could mean we dump them out to a public cloud instance and/or spread it out to other colos to get the load off of phx2, for example.

We'll need to make our dns changes a bit more agile, I suspect. And I also suspect we'll want to talk about making the mechanism for updating cloud.fedoraproject.org and fedorahosted.org more template driven and local-db-driven.

So instead of editing a file by hand you just add a projectname and a hostname to a db/file and git commit/push.

so much to do.

-sv