Re: monitoring rebuild

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:40:30 -0500 (EST)
R P Herrold <herrold@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hard to prevent fat fingers -- some tools exist to emit well
> formed files, and there is a 'preflighting' capability in
> nagios that might be added before applying a VCS commit

Yep. We just need to hook it up...

> > - nagios alerts us too much for things that don't matter or that we
> >  cannot do anything about. (isolated network issues, servers not
> >  responding in cases where there are no impacts, alerting then
> >  recovering very quickly)
>
> That sounds like simple tuneing about alert thresholds and may
> be done iteratively as a given false positive becomes overly
> annoying

Yes.

> > - our dependencies are not right, so we get 50 pages for an issue
> > that is a single network or gateway link being down.
>
> That is solved in the four corners of Nagios which permits
> maintaining 'maps' of what is 'behind' a given node.  Nagios
> does not look, nor complaign further down an impaired path,
> noce configured

Yep. This is complicated however by the following:

we use nrpe to monitor/show hosts alive.
This nrpe connection is over our vpn.

foobar.vpn.fedoraproject.org could be down because:
a) The machine really is down.
b) The host it's running on is down, but the vpn doesn't have anything
to monitor on that host, so you can't add a dep for
'foobars-host.fedoraproject.org' easily/transparently.
c) The network to that site is down.

I think this is fixable, but requires some careful rethinking.

> > - nagios monitors remote machines over vpn links, but also over non
> > vpn links, leading to us having confusion over what a machine is
> > named in nagios.
>
> Using FQ hostnames, and having a 'dummy' TLD of '.VPN' comes
> to mind

That doesn't help. See above. ;)
We do have a vpn subdomain.

> > - Our current setup isn't flexable enough to allow monitoring of non
> >  core resources, but we want to do this. (for example, qa machines
> >  or secondary arch machines or cloud machines, where we may want
> >  different groups to get alerted or manage those machines).
>
> Nagios has the concept of notification sub-groups for clutches
> of machines

Yep. Again, it's a matter of setting it up and making it easy to
manage.

> > - When we add new machines or services we often forget to add
> >  monitoring, or we don't monitor all the things we should be.
>
> That is more on the matter of a problem in the accession
> and de-cessions checklists, no?

yes, but it also should get automated as much as possble, as people
sometimes miss things on checklists, but if it was automatically setup
when a machine was added there would be less errors.

> > - When we do work on machines we sometimes forget to silence nagios.
>
> <hal> 'This kind of thing has happened before, and it has
> always been ... human error' </hal voice>

Indeed. :)

> ... snip here, mention of yet more technological tools ...
>
> Nagios may or may not be the right solution, but it is not
> very loady and works better than at least 80 pct of the
> alternatives I've tried, I'd say -- we run (locally and
> externally) Zabbix, bugzilla, smokeping, cacti, OpenNMS, a
> local wiki from tarballs, a local mediawiki, local custom SNMP
> trapping, custom DB backed outage tracking and remediation --
> and each has faults or things I wish they did differently.
> At least Nagios is reasonably well extensible

Yeah, we tried zabbix a while back and it never made it to production.
Big issues: only manageable via web interface, couldn't handle the load
very well, difficult to add new checks to a wide pile of hosts.

> I have a couple of bugs open on some of those tools in EPEL
> and they have not resulted in any appearent change, so it may
> simply be that the talent is too thin, and I do not have a
> solution for that

Indeed. Could well be.

> Most of what you outlined as problems is either a usage or
> training issue, or a systematic sysadmin issue -- ladling
> puppet or cfengine, or ansible, or (name the new and shiny
> tool of the day) -- a technology solution -- won't solve
> people issues (not reading, not testing, forcing commits of
> broken setups, and room for design and doco improvements)

Yes, I didn't say this would be solved by magic tools. I just noted
that we needed to revamp/clean up our config and do what we could to
automate things at the same time.

Thanks for the input.

kevin