Re: tracking cloud instances

On 2012-10-18 15:24, Seth Vidal wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Matthew Miller wrote:
Unfortunately, neither Eucalpytus or OpenStack support 'tags' in the EC2
api. That wouldn't solve the entire problem, but it's the right way to do
part of it.

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/Using_Tags.html

I bring this up not just to be annoying :) but wanted to make sure you're
aware of it when designing anything. (I think practically that means:
store
things as key value pair per resource, and try to keep below Amazon's
arbitrary limit of 10 tags per resource.)

I can say right now that keeping below 10 tags per resource is unlikely
to happen.

And I've talked to the euca folks about tags that's not available and
unlikely to be in 3.2

Indeed.  It is slated for 3.3, AFAIK.

If these tags need to persist longer than instances do then resource tags on individual instances probably aren't the right solution anyway -- they evaporate when the instances do. :-\ Tags on auto-scaling groups can be more useful, but that isn't going to land until eucalyptus 3.3 either.