Re: tracking cloud instances

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Matthew Miller wrote:

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 05:02:00PM -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
I'm thinking we need a tool that would poll the cloudlet(s),
retrieve all the basic, available, info about the running instances.

Unfortunately, neither Eucalpytus or OpenStack support 'tags' in the EC2
api. That wouldn't solve the entire problem, but it's the right way to do
part of it.

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/Using_Tags.html

I bring this up not just to be annoying :) but wanted to make sure you're
aware of it when designing anything. (I think practically that means: store
things as key value pair per resource, and try to keep below Amazon's
arbitrary limit of 10 tags per resource.)

I can say right now that keeping below 10 tags per resource is unlikely to happen.

And I've talked to the euca folks about tags that's not available and unlikely to be in 3.2

-sv