Re: announcing repository updates over Fedora Message Bus

On Sep 10, 2012, at 7:15, Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Love the idea.  Please describe how to hook up applications to
>> receive such notifications.  I'd love to have MirrorManager's
>> update-master-directory-list cronjob listen for such instead.
>
> I don't have any hands-on experience with Fedora Message Bus. But we can ask the Messaging SIG guys [1]. On their mindmap they even have MirrorManager mentioned as one of their use cases.
>
> My naive idea is that there would be a simple script (Python or whatever the qpid library has bindings for) that would connect to the bus and wait for the user-defined event, then trigger a user-defined command. We could distribute the script as part of the MirrorManager toolkit. I don't have any MirrorManager experience either, so maybe this could be easily integrated into the existing set of scripts.
>
> This is basically why I propose this, to learn more about the topic and see whether there is someone willing to go ahead and try to implement this.
>

> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Messaging_SIG

I wrote some scripts to do similar functionality a few years ago when
we were talking AMQP. Users could subscribe to packages and get gnome
notifications when bohdi or koji events took place.  I also actually
made that mindmap at the Toronto fudcon a few years back. Maybe I can
look into this again in the next week when I get back from vacation.

Brennan Ashton