Re: gitweb[-caching] vs cgit

On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:03:51 -0400
seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We're currently using gitweb[-caching] on fedorahosted and on
> fedorapeople.

And pkgs.fedoraproject.org.

> A discussion today suggested maybe we should move to cgit in its lieu.
>

> First things first:
>
> 1. cgit means we break old links to gitweb urls

People would have that in their history and the like, but we don't
officially point into gitweb anywhere do we?
For things like pkgs, since the front page is unusable, you have to
know the url to a package anyhow, so I doubt too many people are even
hitting it there.

> 2. cgit is a different pkg - maintained by other folks
> 3. gitweb-caching appears to be abandoned (gitweb is maintained but it
> doesn't do caching) - kernel.org is using gitweb-caching

4. We have outstanding tickets where gitweb-caching messes up and
caches the wrong project or the like, it would be nice to fix that up.

> so - question - is cgit different and better enough to warrant the
> hurt of moving?
>
> is cgit more reliably maintained?
>
> is it faster? (hell, not sure it is possible for it to be slower)

I think we may want to test out an instance in stg or on a dev box to
get the answers to these questions...

> Are we overlooking other options?

Some more (which may not be ideal but I thought I would mention):

- The git-web in the git package. It's not got any caching tho, so it
  may not be acceptable performance wise.

- For fedorahosted we could just move people to using the trac git
  interface. It's sadly a lot slower and uglier, IMHO.

kevin