Re: Proposal: *.fudcon.fedoraproject.org subdomains for FUDCons

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Ian Weller <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> FUDCon organizers may wish to use their own application (hosted
> anywhere, such as OpenShift) to handle registrations or BarCamp
> scheduling for FUDCons.
>
> There is currently some sort of application on fudcon.fedoraproject.org
> that handles registrations and other things (there's currently a
> discussion on that on various lists).
>
> My proposal is as follows:
> - At the request of the event organizers for an approved FUDCon, a
>  domain name such as lawrence2013.fudcon.fedoraproject.org is created.
> - This domain can point to anywhere (for example, an OpenShift
>  application, or a VPS).
> - The first part of the domain name will be the city name where the
>  FUDCon is hosted followed by the year (for example, blacksburg2012,
>  kualalumpur2012, lawrence2013).
>
> At this point I'm only proposing that we do DNS services.
>
> Questions, comments, flames?

After the event, the subdomains will be closed, we will then have broken URLs.
We want to define an unified platform for FUDCon organizer, IMHO it
would be great because people will know where to look for FUDCon
specific things, will know the platform and how to use it… And the
content will basically be the same for all FUDCon, this would be
faster.

What you propose could be fine for a localized FUDCon website (no
English), but I would prefer to have it on the above platform (some
work were done with Drupal, and we are currently looking to finish
that).

Of course, if we don't provide an unified platform, your idea could
still be useful.

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)