Re: new web app urls discussion

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:17:18 -0800
Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 03:25:02PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> >
> > The above is a summary - here is an idea from me:
> >
> > http://app.fedoraproject.org/<appname>/
> > AND
> > http://appname.fedoraproject.org/
> >
> > Then we can have an app landing page at app.fedoraproject.org to
> > describe what facilities we have but provide for direct links to
> > apps using a shorter convention.
> >
> > it also lets us collect apps under fedora w/o necessarily having
> > them all be a single system.
> >
> > it's relatively future proof, too.
> >
> Another thing I've recalled from past conversations is I think we
> need:
>
> https://<appname>.app.fedoraproject.org/ if we want the cookies that
> drive SSO to work.  We can, of course, decide that SSO is a non-goal.

I think SSO is a good goal for our apps that support login. It would be
missed I think if we moved away from it.

> Also, I assume that "appname" doesn't always give an applications'
> proper name here.  ie: appname = 'updates' rather than appname =
> 'bodhi' ?

yeah, I would agree. Or perhaps we could cname them, but then it gets
confusing which is the 'right' name, so we should probibly avoid that.

also, this would help us with the issue of the wiki cookies going to
any fedoraproject.org domain if it was 'wiki.apps.fedoraproject.org'

If fedoraproject is too long, we could look at something like a new
domain 'fedapps.org' ? 'fedoraapps.org', but those could be confusing
with applications IN fedora.

kevin