notifications of rel-eng file changes

Greetings.

in this ticket:

we have discussion of installing inotify or the like to allow folks to
see quickly when new files have uploaded, etc. I'm not sure I want the
overhead of inotify on our machines (although I suppose it might not be
too bad).

I was thinking this might be a good usecase for a simple message bus
type setup (which we never got to deploying).

Ie, run a message bus thing, have rel-eng tools add a thing to send a
message "F17 beta rc1 uploading" "F17 beta rc1 uploaded", etc.

Thoughts? Ideas?

kevin