Re: 2factor auth

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:50:41 -0400
Adam M Dutko <adutko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> These problems we are discussing are difficult. The somewhat
> obvious part is that I think in the end no single solution will be the
> best.

Yeah, security is usually tradeoffs. ;)

> Using a phone based solution is scary. I cannot understand why
> one would want to base their security on a transient and expensive
> device. Such devices are easily lost, easily damaged, and as crackers
> are discovering, breakable, just like any other software based system.

Sure, but also they are easily replaced and (almost) everyone has them.

> These same reasons are why I believe "fobs," "tokens" or whatever you
> want to call them, are also not an optimal solution. However, unlike
> phones, they are inexpensive, disabled with minimal pain/inconvenience
> as compared to wiping a phone, and although potential targets for
> theft, not as big of a target as a much more expensive devices like
> phones. Likely fob thieves would know what they are doing (which is
> scary in itself), but they are most likely less numerous than
> would-be phone thieves.

Well, they are less expensive, but they are more pain.
If you lost/broke your phone you could likely go get a new one down at
your local telco store. If you lost/broke you yubikey, you would have
to order a new one, wait for shipping.

> The primary concerns I have about any system relate to how
> easy is to "rebase" aspects of the solution when different pieces are
> compromised; how expensive is the solution in terms of total cost
> expressed in dollars (new phone or token), time (administrative,
> transit, etc.) and resources (recreating the environment from
> scratch).

Sure. Tradeoffs.

> Some of the suggested solutions rely on third parties so
> minimizing these dependencies when possible is probably a good idea.

Yes, this should be as close to 0 as we can make it. ;)

> What happens if Oracle succeeds and Android is hosed in a few years
> (highly unlikely but possible)?

iOS has clients. ;) Blackberry even has OTP clients.

>  What happens when YubiCo dissolves?

This would be a pain hardware wise. Until/unless someone started making
clone hardware. Software wise it doesn't matter, it's all Open source.

> What happens when Google pulls support for their OTP system (again
> unlikely, but possible)?

Google authenticator is open source. We have the code and always will.

>What happens when solution x is compromised
> like the recent RSA breaches?

Adjust/mitigate. ;)

> We obviously cannot predict the future, so I guess I'm
> wondering what matters the most to those who will actively be using
> the solution? Like Seth, and other mention, what groups are we
> covering? and what can we require of each of those groups? Is it fair
> to say if you want to be an admin you have to have the dough to pay
> for a phone and pay for a service plan? I don't know, but it will
> shape the demographic in certain, and possibly, unfortunate ways.

Right. We need to decide this. I do think requiring a phone may be too
difficult for some groups.

> I also had a discussion
> with a friend who does a lot of reverse engineering. He mentioned the
> YubiKey hardware is trivial and that it would probably be more
> difficult to reverse engineer the algorithms involved in generating
> the OTP.

yeah, someone could make clone yubikeys...

All good info. :)

kevin