Mass Password/ssh Key change announcement DRAFT

Greetings.

Here's what I have so far on an announcement for the mass password
change/ssh key change. Suggestions for improvement very welcome. In
particular more resources we could point people to, or common questions
you think people will come up with that we could answer would be great.

Also, we need to decide what exactly we do to accounts that fail to
meet the deadline. Are we just marking them inactive? Do we have any
way to force them to change the password and upload a new key if they
reactivate the account?

kevin
--
DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT
Subject: IMPORTANT: Manditory password and ssh key change by 2011-11-30

All existing users of the Fedora Account System (FAS) at
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts are required to change their
password and upload a NEW ssh public key by 2011-11-30. Failure to do so
may result in your account being marked inactive.

Backgound and reasoning:

This change event has NOT been triggered by any specific compromise or
vulnerability in Fedora Infrastructure, rather we feel that due to the
large number of high profile sites with security breaches in recent
months that this is a great time for all Fedora contributors and users
to review their security settings and move to "best practices" on their
machines. Additionally, we are putting in place new rules for passwords
to increase their entropy and make them less guessable.

New Password Rules:

* Nine or more characters with lower and upper case letters, digits and
  punctuation marks.
* Ten or more characters with lower and upper case letters and digits.
* Twelve or more characters with lower case letters and digits
* Twenty or more characters with all lower case letters.
* No maximum length.

Some Do's and Don'ts:

* NEVER store your ssh private key on a shared or public system.
* ALWAYS use a strong passphrase on your ssh key.
* if you must store passwords, use a application specifically for this
  purpose like revelation, gnome-keyring, seahorse, or keepassx.
* Regularly apply your OSes security related updates.
* Only use ssh agent forwarding when needed ( .ssh/config:
  "ForwardAgent no")
* DO verify ssh host keys via dnssec protected dns. ( .ssh/config:
  "VerifyHostKeyDNS yes")
* DO consider a seperate ssh key for Fedora Infrastructure.
* Work with and use security features like SELinux and iptables.
* Review the Community Standard Infrastructure security document (link
  below)

Q&A:

Q: My password and ssh private key are fine and secure! Can't I just
skip this change?

A: No. We very much hope everyone's password and ssh keys are fine, but
we would like everyone to take this chance to review security and
change things. In the event of a triggering event everyone will know
the process.

Q: Can I just change my password and re-upload my same ssh public key?
Or upload a bogus ssh public key and then re-upload my old one?