Re: Hosted plans

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 10:54 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I thought I would throw out some plans for hosted moving forward and
> see if we could hash out a plan and some timetable for implementing
> things.
>

> Some things we talked about:
>
> * A caching frontend of some kind. Could cache web requests and take
>   load off the main machines.
> * Some way to distribute the data, so if serverbeach were off line we
>   could still switch to and use another machine.
> * Adding more/different services.
> 	IRC commit bot
> 	redmine (still not in fedora, but people are working on it)
> 	your idea here.

We talked a bit about this yesterday and I wanted to write it up here:

1. move the mailman instance over to collab1 and have them share an
infrastructure - mailman is not (usually) easy to spread to lots of
servers in a very clean way and it is not (usually) the source of a
massive load (the archiver not withstanding)

2. I think we should seriously consider building things for hosted 2.0
such that slices are possible:

 you still go to fedorahosted.org/projectname

 but it redirects you to project-##.fedorahosted.org - based on the
 first 2 letters of the name of your project or what not.

 for commits you have to commit to:
 git-##.fedorahosted.org (for example)
 or svn-##.fedorahosted.org

 it would allow us to expand out horizontally as things get busier.

 It would require a config change and/or a flag day for our users but
 it's not the end of the world now.
 Advantages:
   a. this keeps all of our eggs out of one basket
   b. it means replicating the infrastructure is important,
repeatedly :)

 it seems like an obvious course of action that scales well for what we
need.

3. Think HARD about limiting support for additional services on hosted.

thoughts?

-sv