infra-hosts git repo

hi folks,
 Ricky Zhou and I had talked about this a few weeks ago and I wanted to
finish up getting the ball rolling.
I've made a new git repo available at:

/git/infra-hosts on lockbox01

This git tree is for structured and unstructured notes/info on our
hosts.

there is one dir per host. You can put whatever you want into the dirs.
It ends up propagating out to: /srv/web/infra/hosts on lockbox01.

That space is accessible from:

http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/infra/hosts for our hosts.

So - there should be nothing protected, private, nor confidential in
this repo.

Puppet runs:
 If you look in any give host dir you will find a file named run-puppet
there.

This file doesn't need to have anything in it but it does need to exist
if you want puppet to be able to run on the host.

This file is checked for on each and every host before puppet is run via
cron. If the file isn't available then puppet won't run. We'll get a
report about hosts on which puppet hasn't run, of course.

So if you want to disable puppet on a box you'd just run:

git rm $hostname/run-puppet; git commit -a; git push

that's it - puppet won't run, unless someone runs something manually.

to reenable - just touch the file, git add it, commit and push

As other things come up we'll add them here and have central repository
where these things can live.

let me know what you think.

-sv