Re: changing a few things in our host mgmt tools

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:42:58 +0100
Stefan Schlesinger <sts@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> I wrote a monitoring script[1] for check_mk[2], which is capable of
> integrating "puppetstatus" and a last-run check, and shows whether
> puppet is disabled (also the reason for disabling it) or when the
> agent was last run.

Cool.

check_mk looks interesting... but it seems it's not in Fedora/EPEL yet?

> It cannot check for what puppet did and whether the catalog compiled
> successfully, I'd +1 for puppet-dashboard here.

As noted, puppet-dashboard isn't going to happen I don't think.

> Speaking of enhancing things, I'd as well like to suggest switching
> local-host checks from NRPE to check_mk via SSH.
>
> There are certain benefits:
>
> • Automatic inventory of checks per host
> • For each host, Nagios only triggers only active check any more,
> which returns all data needed to feed the other, passive checks.
> • All other checks just use cached data from the active check.
> • check_mk also extracts performance data and can directly insert that
>   into round robin databases.

Yeah, looks interesting. Someone should get it into EPEL and we can
evaluate it. ;)

> Regards, Stefan.

kevin