Re: FAS password complexity requirements

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 17:49:19 -0600,
  Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 20:58:36 -0400
> Ricky Zhou <ricky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hey, so we discussed in the meeting, FAS's password requirements are
> > currently very lax - just a minimum length of 8 characters.  What do
> > we think the requirements should be changed to?
> >
> > One possible strength checker that I mentioned during the meeting was:
> > http://www.nongnu.org/python-crack/
> >
> > This can use a dictionary to detect weak passwords.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I think a bit of requirements could be good here.

We are looking at this issue at work as we are going to need to have around
a couple hundred people here at InCommon silver in about 18 months. (And
probably more not too long after that.) One nice document on password
complexity is in appendix A of the document at:
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-63/SP800-63V1_0_2.pdf

This should at least give you guys some things for thought.